George III Serpentine Mahogany Serving Table rectangular with serpentine shape over a frieze with central carved neoclassical urn flanked by fluting and roundels. Raised on square section tapered fluted legs and block feet.
Provenance; Hackwood Park, Hampshire. Sold Christies London April 20-22 1998.
Hackwood Park was built from 1683 to 1687 for a son of the fifth Marquess of Winchester, Charles Paulet , created Duke of Bolton [1630-1699], created 1st Duke of Bolton in 1689. In the middle of the 18th century the 5th duke [1718-1765] engaged the architect John Vardy to undertake a major interior refurbishment campaign. The property was sold in 1936 to newspaper publisher William Berry, 1st Viscount Camrose [ 1879-1954], and again sold after the death of the 2nd Viscount Camrose’s widow 1n 1997.
Height: 37.25 in (94.62 cm)
Width: 76.25 in (193.68 cm)
Depth: 35 in (88.9 cm)