Suite Of Five Regency Brass Inlaid Side Cabinets from Westport House County Mayo comprising a suite of five brass inlaid mahogany side cabinets from Westport House, County Mayo, Ireland. Westport was designed by the celebrated Palladian architect Richard Castle fro John Browne, later created 1st Earl of Altamont in the 1730s. John Denis Browne 1st Marquess of Sligo commissioned the most fashionable architect of the time, James Wyatt to update the earlier house and modify the interiors in 1781. Howe Peter Browne 2nd Marquess Of Sligo later employed James’s son Benjamin Dean Wyatt to build a large new library.
The Wyatt family was closely connected associated with Gillows of Lancaster and sketches for furniture supplied to Westport appear in Gillows estimate books. It is plausible that this suite of cabinets was intended for use in the library as well. Provenance; Almost certainly supplied to Howe Peter Browne 2nd Marquess of Sligo for Westport House. Thence by descent until sold, The Property of the Earl of Altamont and The Trustees of The Westport House Estate; Sothebys, London, November 18th, 1983, lot 173 as a suite of five cabinets.
Height: 37.25 in (94.62 cm)
Width: 72 in (182.88 cm)
Depth: 22.75 in (57.79 cm)
Sold As: Set of 5
Pair with rounded backs 13.25 x 33.25 x 37.5. Other pair 16 x 36 x 36.5.